Vegan Saffron Tagliatelle with Mushroom Ragu0 $26.00 for 2 portions
Legend has it that tagliatelle was invented in 1487 when the Lord of Bologna was so besotted by the infamous noblewoman Lucrezia Borgia that he asked his chef to prepare a banquet in her honour. The result was long golden strips of pasta resembling the guest’s legendary blonde hair.
Our version is even more blonde thanks to the addition of saffron. Top your tagliatelle with our slow-cooked mushroom ragu, which features a combination of oyster mushrooms for a slightly springy texture and swiss brown mushrooms for an earthy flavour. Finish with a sprinkling of our vegan parmesan, cleverly made in-house from cashews, sunflower seeds and yeast flakes for a burst of flavour. A modern twist on a historical classic.
- Bring the water to the boil in a large pot, salting it well. We suggest 1 litre of water per 100g of pasta and 2 teaspoons (10g) of salt per litre of water.
- Blanch the pasta in the rapidly boiling water for 2 to 4 minutes, depending on your preference for an al dente texture.
- Meanwhile, heat the sauce in a medium pan or saucepan. Bring it to a simmer, but turn off the heat before it reaches a boil. Add a tablespoon of the pasta water.
- Strain the pasta through a colander and toss gently through the sauce.
- Arrange the pasta on a plate or in a bowl, spooning excess sauce over the top.
- Sprinkle with torn basil leaves and vegan parmesan.
- Buon appetito!
Chef's Tip – Before you begin cooking, separate the pasta onto a wooden board and untangle the strands if they get a little stuck. This will ensure they all cook evenly.
Keep a cup of pasta water from the pot just before you strain the pasta. You can use this water to adjust the consistency of the sauce, one tablespoon at a time.
Ingredients (allergens in bold)
‘00’ flour, semolina, water, saffron (<1%)
field mushrooms (20%), swiss brown mushrooms (15%), oyster mushrooms (15%), water, onion, carrot, celery, garlic, oregano, sage, cornflour, salt, pepper
cashew, sunflower seed, yeast flakes, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, citric acid
As our pasta is an artisanal, handmade product, some natural cracks may appear. We assure you this is normal, and will still be delicious!
Store at 5°C or below. Consume within two days of delivery or freeze.
The Pasta Poetry kitchen is a multi-use kitchen, and while the utmost care is taken, we cannot guarantee zero traces of allergens.